The top of the church is divided into 17 parts with golden frame, painted at first by the Kerkyrean artist, Panagiotis Doxaras, in 1727. The initial icons however, never managed to survive because of the humidity. In the middle of the 19th century, and specifically in 1852, the top of the church was restored and was given colour and liveliness from the hands of the artist Nikolaos Aspiotis. Another very important artist from the Eptanesian School, whose works decorate the church today, is S. Sperantzas.
The church’s bell tower, which was built in 1620 and overlooks the old city of Kerkyra, is simple as it suits the plain external view of St. Spyridona church. It is a tall bell tower squarely profiled, Italian style which resembles the Greek church St. Giorgio’s del Greci bell tower in Venice. The aspect that differs on St. Spyridona’s bell tower is the red dome in its finishing. Underneath the bell there is also a big clock with Latin numbers and gold pointers.
The Kerkyreans honour the guardian saint with greatness. Many times during the year they have processions to honour the saint. On 11 August when the island celebrates the salvation of the island from the siege of the Turks in 1716, on 12 December, the memory of the saint is celebrated, the first Sunday in November and palm Sunday is celebrated for the island’s release of the plague epidemic and on Holy Saturday the salvation of the people from starvation.
1,337 total views, 2 views today